Wednesday 11 February 2015

Gym Sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdHZGBkQIy8

This is the link to the gym sequence, which was a scene that had been changed since a cast member was no longer a part of the production. I took on the role of Mr Avila as well as my other characters after Jake Kavanagh could no longer be a part of the performance. I found it to be an enjoyable challenge, adding obstacles such as quick changes and changing characters even more to differentiate them for an easier understanding for the audience. I became the teacher seen in this sequence, instead of one of the students. The sequence itself is of a circuit training sequence that you would normally see in primary school and early years of secondary school. I made Mr Avila seem like a drill sergeant here to show that strictness of his character in comparison to the Dad. It was also to illustrate the passion he has for his subject. These little characteristics, in my opinion, are key to characterisation, and help in differentiating each character that I had to play, as well as the costume alterations between each character.

The song was an instrumental of the suggestion by Ali, Fort Minor's song 'Remember The Name'. We chose this for it's gym-like beat, which allowed us to create movement sequences that flowed with the music itself. We also chose the dialogue to be silent at first, but I changed this when I took the role on, as I felt that with the interjections of Mr Avila's shouting allowed the sequence to be more grueling for Oskar, which is the narrative point we were trying to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment